The Church is called to be Christ’s faith evangelist, …participating in God’s activity in the world through its life for others by …healing and reconciling and binding up wounds …ministering to the needs of the poor, the sick, the lonely, and the powerless …engaging in the struggle to free people from sin, fear, oppression, hunger, and injustice …giving itself and its substance to the service of those who suffer. …sharing with Christ in the establishing of his just, peaceable, and loving rule in the world.
– BOOK OF ORDER, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (U.S.A.)
Service & Outreach
This unit is responsible for ministries of compassion beyond our four walls as we strive to serve Christ in the world. It is also responsible for the ongoing mission of the church to spread the Good News of the Gospel of Christ by encouraging members to actively share their faith in Christ with others so that they may know the love and grace of God in him. Whether through word or deed, this unit bears the joyful responsibility of making Christ known in the world.
- Local Mission & Volunteer Opportunities: Determines how much financial support local agencies receive; stays abreast of local opportunities for the congregation to respond in service; plans, implements, and coordinates service opportunities. Formulates the policies of the church regarding assistance to the needy and seeks ways to be proactive in making our congregation a community of hospitality, love, and local outreach to those who are in need.
- National & Global Missions: Determines which national and global organizations our congregation will support, both prayerfully and financially. Fosters a relationship with our missionaries and promotes these relationships in the congregation, giving people a chance to develop a relationship with them. Plan and coordinate opportunities to be involved with national and global mission agencies, such as Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, Operation Shoebox, etc.
- Social Witness & Creation Care: Determines which, if any, justice issues our congregation should advocate for on a local, state, or national level and makes recommendations to the Session accordingly. Responsible for assuring the congregation practices responsible stewardship of creation, recommending and overseeing efforts to reduce, reuse, and recycle.
- Evangelism & Community Relations: Responsible for Second Presbyterian Church’s image in the community. Seeks ways for Second to partner with and engage the community for the sake of the Gospel. Provides training for members to learn how to articulate and practice their faith in the world and to invite people to commit their lives to Christ through the ministry of the church. Works with organizations in the community that wish to utilize our facilities and handles all public relations and advertising for the congregation.
- Special Offerings: Recommends to the Session any special offerings to be received, including special denominational offerings. Coordinates, communicates, and oversees the opportunity for and collection of special offerings, in coordination with the Worship Planning Team, if necessary, and communicates to the congregation the results of these special offerings.
- Work Trips: Organizes all mission work trips of the church not affiliated with the Student Ministry Team. Ensures that each work trip is spiritually formative, in addition to being a witness for Christ in the world.
Staff: The Senior Pastor is the primary resource to the Service & Outreach Ministry Unit.
Join Us as We Gather
In Person & Virtually
Sunday Service Times
9:30AM | Sunday School
11:00AM | Worship (In-person and Virtual)
2829 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN 37919
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m